Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Explosion of scifi


Man, did everyone get tired of the vampire bandwagon and jump on the science fiction wagon at the same time? It's just CRAZY how many good scifi reads are out there right now! Take the Lone Star List for this year. I THINK 7 of those titles would classify as science fiction.
I just finished a book I picked up at TLA LAST YEAR (in 08 I think) that I really liked. It's called The Sky Inside and the author is unknown to me. The society where the main character, a teenage boy, lives is a suburb inside a dome. They know nothing of the outside world. Their babies are delivered by "the stork". Most are "reproductions" of a certain person- possibly using their DNA. I can't remember the exact details, but this young generation gets referred to as freaks. They are too intellectual and curious for their "parents". Things get complicated when they are recalled, and a man comes to take them away on the train that runs through the suburb underground. The main character realizes how wrong and inhumane this is and runs away to save his sister, among the group taken away. His experiences outside the suburb, as I'm sure you can imagine, are full of wonder, shock, danger, and adventure. If you enjoyed Uglies, then this is another science fiction adventure that I'm sure you'll devour.
Check it out here:

No comments: